5.30.2012

Book Report & Summer Reading

I have gotten a lot of reading in lately, some are time passers (entertaining but not ground breaking) and a couple really inspiring ones. Here's the breakdown:
  • Trouble in Mudbug-  A pretty cute murder mystery and it was on the Kindle Free list!! I found this Listmania on Amazon that has more cheap murder mysteries
  • The Fifty Shades Trilogy- yes.. I went there... and read ALL THREE in a week. it kinda consumed me in a Harry Potter/ Twilight kinda way. Only raunchier and more adult (duh.) I think that they totally coulda wrapped up the whole thing in 1 book if they took out all the unneccessary sex scenes. haha. 
  • Imagine: How Creativity Works- This book was pretty amazing. And my redeeming book for the before mentioned trilogy. It was engaging and thoughtful and I highly recommend it.
  • The Cat Manual- If you have a 2 hour flight and you wanna get through an entire book, this is the perfect time waster. Its cute... but only to a cat owner. It is written by a cat, for a cat. 
  • Untold Story- This is about what "would have" happened if Princess Diana's murder was all a rouse. It is pretty entertaining and an interesting look into psyche. 
  • The Magicians and The Magician King- As far as novels go, these two were my favorite that I have read in the last few months. But I love a good fantasy, mystery element to my books. And these deliver.\
 I went back to my summer reading list from last year, and it seems as though I only finished a few. I did purchase these 2 books yesterday on Amazon:
Mrs. Lilien's Cocktail Swatchbook

American Grown
I also have a list from Facebook that people have recommended:
  • Neva Warnock-well, just random great reads: Killer Angels, 1632, the Beekeeper's Apprentice, Songlines 
  • Whitney Ashton-Swanson Great murder mystery called Perfume. About a killer who picks his victims by their sent. Giving me chills right now. 
  • Kara Brock Schectman-Divergent  
  • Erin Grubbs- I love the Wideacre trilogy from Phillippa Gregory, very saucy for historical fiction 
  • Crystal Ashley-  Devil in the White City. It's About the making of the 1893 worlds fair in Chicago following the architects struggles to complete AND follows a serial killer during the same time. It's non-fiction and pretty interesting. It bounces between both stories every couple chapters
  • Maggie Quinn-I'm reading Indomitable Will about LBJ and loving it! I second Devil in the White City, but Erik Larson's newer book In the Garden of the Beasts (about Americans living in Germany during Hitler's rise to power) is NOT good. The Glass Castle is a favorite. 
  • Adam Huckel- Touching From a Distance. 
**If i didn't put your recommendation on her, It's because I already read it... but THANK YOU!!** 
Any other good ones we need to know about??

7 comments:

  1. I just read The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, and would highly recommend it.

    I'm waiting on book 1 of Fifty Shades from the library so I can jump on that bandwagon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Language of Flowers... i am intrigued. thanks for the suggestions and i cant wait to hear how you like the 50 shades.

      Delete
  2. I am a huge fan of non-fiction, so I read a lot of political science and sociology books. One of my recent favorites was Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy. I also love Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. It's an old read, but I never get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mom loved midnight in the garden... i need to put that on my list

      Delete
  3. I have a friend reading Mad Women: The Other Side of Life on Madison Avenue in the '60s and Beyond by Jane Maas. It's her experience as a copywriter during the 60s. My friend says it's great and looking at the Amazon reviews, I'm about to go grab my card and place and order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I'm going to have to check out Fifty shades of grey. I currently have at least 7 books I've purchased to read and haven't started reading one, and just purchased another this weekend so that makes 8.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...